Personally identifiable Information and How We Collect It
Personally identifiable information is any information that would reveal specific information about you as an individual. Examples of personally identifiable information include, without limitation, your name, street address, email address and phone number. Brown Bag Unlimited only collects this type of information when voluntarily supplied by users. Below are a few examples of how we collect personally identifiable information.
Promotions, Sweepstakes, Contests, Etc.
If you choose to register for one of Brown Bag Unlimited’s newsletters, you will be asked to submit an email address and other personally identifiable information. Brown Bag Unlimited will use this information in conjunction with the newsletter including, but not limited to, emailing newsletters. If, upon registration, you select to receive offers extended to newsletter members by Brown Bag Unlimited and other third parties, your personally identifiable information may also be used by Brown Bag Unlimited and third parties to provide you with such offers. Emails from the newsletters will routinely offer you the opportunity to remove your email address from our recipe and newsletter distribution list and/or the distribution list for related offers.
Cookies and Web Beacons
Like many companies, Brown Bag Unlimited uses “cookie” technology and similar devices on and off of our websites to facilitate site-navigation. "Cookies" are pieces of information that are sent to your browser from a web server and may be stored on your computer's hard drive until removed. Cookies make it possible for users to avoid logging into websites upon each visit, and their use by commercial websites is common. Your browser may be reconfigured to either signal the receipt of a cookie or to refuse the acceptance of cookies; however, reconfiguration may affect your ability to properly access and/or use this and many other sites.
Brown Bag Unlimited collects non-personal information in order to monitor usage of and to improve our websites. Accordingly, Brown Bag Unlimited reserves the right to share information obtained from cookies, web beacons and other similar devices with third parties compiling such information for Brown Bag Unlimited’ internal use.
How We Use Personally Identifiable Information
We may also enhance your personally identifiable information by linking it to data obtained from third parties, such as non-personally identifiable information (e.g., demographic and geographic characteristics) as well as other publicly available data such as census information. Such enhanced information allows us to provide our users with a more customized experience.
Where required by the applicable law (for example, if you are an EU Data Subject), we will send you marketing information or notifications only with your consent, which was given at the time you provided us with the Personal Data. In such case, if you do not provide us with your consent to the processing of your Personal Data for this purpose, we will not send you this information, (please refer to the “EU Data Subjects” section below for information on your rights). For California residents, please consult the “Your Privacy Rights” section below for additional considerations.
Brown Bag Unlimited collects information about users’ IP addresses, including users’ utilization of our Websites, to help us design our Websites to better suit our Website users’ needs. We may use information about your IP address to help diagnose problems with our server, administer our Websites, analyze trends, track visitor movements, and gather information that assists us in identifying visitor preferences. We also may use your IP address to enhance our security and investigate an actual or potential security incident. For EU Data Subjects, this use of your information is necessary for our legitimate interests in understanding how the Websites and our Services are being used by you, to improve your experience on it and ensuring network and information security. For more information about what we mean by legitimate interests, and when we may process Personal Data for our legitimate interests, please see the “EU Data Subjects” section below.
Brown Bag Unlimited’s primary goal in collecting and using personally identifiable information is to give you a meaningful and customized experience while you are using our websites and to promote our products in a cost effective and efficient manner.
How We Share Personally Identifiable Information
Except as described below, we don’t sell, transfer or otherwise disclose to third parties the personally identifiable information we collect on our websites without your prior consent. We disclose information where we think it is necessary to investigate or prevent an actual or suspected crime or injury to ourselves or others or where disclosure is required by law. We also may disclose information in response to a request from law enforcement authorities or other government officials. We also disclose information to third parties we retain to perform services on our behalf. For example, we hire service providers to help us run promotions, analyze data, fulfill orders you may place and provide customer or consumer service. These service providers may have access to personally identifiable information about our website visitors if it is needed to perform their functions for Brown Bag Unlimited, but they are not authorized by Brown Bag Unlimited to use the information for their own marketing purposes.
We share your Personal Data with the following service providers:
- Providers of payment processing and accounting, as necessary to process payment
- Providers helping us fulfill offerings (such as Amazon)
- Providers of research and analytics services, including Google Analytics
We may also disclose Personal Data to third parties in the following circumstances: (1) if you request or authorize (when required by the law, we will inform you in advance of the third parties to which we may provide your data and the purpose for doing so, and we will obtain your prior consent for such use); (2) the information is provided (a) to comply with the law (for example, to comply with a search warrant, subpoena or other legal process), (b) to enforce an agreement we have with you, (c) to protect our rights, property or safety, or the rights, property or safety of our employees or others, (d) to investigate fraud, or (e) to respond to a government request or to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements; (3) to address emergencies or acts of God; (4) to address disputes, claims, or to persons holding a legal or beneficial interest; (5) if we are involved in a merger, acquisition, financing due diligence, reorganization, bankruptcy, receivership, sale of company assets, or transition of service to another provider, in which case your Personal Data and other information may be transferred to a successor or affiliate as part of that transaction along with other assets.
We reserve the right to transfer any information we have about you in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets. If such a sale or transfer occurs, we will use reasonable efforts to try to require that the transferee use personally identifiable information provided through this website in a manner that is consistent with this Privacy Notice.
Our websites have security measures in place to help protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of the personally identifiable information under our control. Brown Bag Unlimited employs security measures consistent with standard industry practice to help protect against public access to personally identifiable and account activity information collected on and used by Brown Bag Unlimited at our websites. If you register with one of our websites, personally identifiable information and account activity are also protected through the use of a user name and password. In order to help maintain the security of your information, you should protect the confidentiality of your user name and password.
However, due to the inherent open nature of the Internet, we cannot guarantee that communications between you and us or the information stored on this Site are absolutely secure. Unfortunately, no transmission of Personal Data over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
We retain your Personal Data for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements. We retain Personal Data collected through the Platforms we process for as long as needed.
If you are an EU Data Subject, please see the “EU Data Subject” section below for information on your rights in relation to the Personal Data we hold about you.
EU Data Subjects
Scope. This section applies if you are an individual located in the European Union or European Economic Area (collectively, “EU”) (“EU Data Subject”). For these purposes, reference to the EU also includes the European Economic Area countries of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway and, where applicable, Switzerland.
Data Controller. Brown Bag Unlimited is the data controller for the processing of your Personal Data.
Your Rights. Subject to applicable law, you have the following rights in relation to your Personal Data:
- Right of access: If you ask us, we will confirm whether we are processing your Personal Data and, if so, provide you with a copy of that Personal Data (along with certain other details). If you require additional copies, we may need to charge a reasonable fee.
- Right to rectification: If your Personal Data is inaccurate or incomplete, you are entitled to have it rectified or completed. If we have shared your Personal Data with others, we will tell them about the rectification where possible. If you ask us, where possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you with whom we shared your Personal Data so that you can contact them directly.
- Right to erasure: You may ask us to delete or remove your Personal Data and we will do so in some circumstances, such as where we no longer need it (we may not delete your data when other interests outweigh your right to deletion). If we have shared your data with others, we will tell them about the erasure where possible. If you ask us, where possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you with whom we shared your Personal Data so that you can contact them directly.
- Right to restrict processing: You may ask us to restrict or ‘block’ the processing of your Personal Data in certain circumstances, such as where you contest the accuracy of that Personal Data or object to us processing it. We will tell you before we lift any restriction on processing. If we have shared your Personal Data with others, we will tell them about the restriction where possible. If you ask us, where possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you with whom we shared your Personal Data so that you can contact them directly.
- Right to data portability: Effective 25 May 2018, you have the right to obtain your Personal Data from us that you consented to give us or that is necessary to perform a contract with you. We will give you your Personal Data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format. You may reuse it elsewhere.
- Right to object: You may ask us at any time to stop processing your Personal Data, and we will do so:
- If we are relying on a legitimate interest to process your Personal Data — unless we demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing; or
- If we are processing your Personal Data for direct marketing.
- Rights in relation to automated decision-making and profiling: You have the right to be free from decisions based solely on automated processing of your Personal Data, including profiling, that affect you, unless such processing is necessary for entering into, or the performance of, a contract between you and us or you provide your explicit consent to such processing.
- Right to withdraw consent: If we rely on your consent to process your Personal Data, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. This will not affect the lawfulness of processing based on your prior consent.
- Right to lodge a complaint with the data protection authority: If you have a concern about our privacy practices, including the way we have handled your Personal Data, you can report it to the data protection authority that is authorized to hear those concerns.
You may exercise your rights by contacting us as indicated under “Contact Us” section below.
We offer you certain choices about what personal information we collect from you, how we use that information, and how we communicate with you. Some areas of our websites provide features that allow you to access and update personal information you have provided there. Some areas contain features that permit you to register your communications preferences, such as by indicating your preference to receive information about particular types of products. You may visit the areas of websites where you provided personal information to learn if they provides these features. If they do not, you can contact us as described below in the How To Contact Us section to update your preferences, ask us to remove your information from our mailing lists or submit a request.
Social Media Sites
Our websites are intended for the use of visitors of all ages. We intend to comply with federal laws and regulations that address children’s online privacy, as well as by the guidelines of the Children’s Advertising Review Unit (CARU), a part of the Council of Better Business Bureaus. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under 13 on our website, except as permitted by legal requirements and the CARU guidelines. Upon proper identification, a parent may review any personal information we have collected from his or her child if we still have the information in our database. The parent also may request that the child’s information be deleted from our database and may refuse to permit further collection or use of the child’s information. If you are a parent and wish to exercise these rights, please contact us as described below. We encourage parents to monitor, supervise and join their children in online activities.
All comments, ideas, recipes or other food-related information submitted to Brown Bag Unlimited by users of our websites ("User Submissions") shall be made with the understanding that Brown Bag Unlimited and/or its agents may have developed or may develop identical or similar items and that User Submissions are not made in confidence. Upon receipt, Brown Bag Unlimited is not required to use any idea or make any changes suggested by a user or provide any compensation.
Links to Other Websites
How to Contact Us
firstname.lastname@example.org or 1.239.260.5068.
Effective: October 25, 2017
Last Modified: May 25, 2018